News and Announcements
*Coaches: Once again we are having our Annual Crosstown Recreational Tournament on the June 15-17th weekend at Gordon Park. It is a coed (6 & 4) fun tournament with prizes to the Champions & Finalists, Consolation winner & Most Fun Team… many MVP individual prizes ..rare to find a recreational in-town softball tournament & 5 game minimum .. * “every team entering gets better”
- Tournament: the 2018 Crosstown Annual Ron Cooke Memorial Tournament will be on the June 15-17th weekend at Gordon Park (Victoria & 49th Ave)
• 5 games guaranteed; one game on Friday night, 2 on Saturday and at least 2 on Sunday. (Friday can be optional .. but means Saturday starts early – 10ish & 3 games)
• all Crosstown rules, 6 & 4, any Crosstown players from any division may play on teams – just let Mike know as SPN needs to adjust their team files for that weekend for insurance purposes
• all games SPN umpired, cor .44 optic yellow Worth balls,
• Molson’s/SPN prizes – Champions & Finalists, Consolation Champs & Most Fun team – and only our league teams are first invited; this keeps it very recreational & anyone can win!
• 6 – 8 MVP male & female prizes, player ballbags, sweatshirts, hoodies, caps, travel bags, dry shirts, t-shirts
• Tournament fee is $350 per team, same as last 7 years
• Individual Molson’s prizes for Champions, Finalists & Consolation winners & for Most Fun team. . rain or shine .. a lotta fun. . washrooms,
• Teams pencilled in – Diamond Dancers, Life Savers, Pilots, the Big Dirty, Pitch Slap, Vancity Pirates, Angry Pirates, Baseslide Tigers? Nightcaps?
To all Crosstown players…
What & when: The Crosstown annual free clinic – Sat May 12th
Who: is for all players & coaches & is compulsory for all new teams & esp Rec C2 teams – at least 1 rep (player).
Where: Gordon Park, 49th Ave & 2 blks west of Victoria (@ David Thompson SS) , NE diamond … 12:00 sharp – 1:30 pm .. umbrellas if raining.. shall only cancel if heavy rain or lightning!
Why .. This is a free practical clinic for all levels & no gloves or equipment needed. A certified umpire will operate the clinic & players should feel comfortable afterwards about softball rules, play & expectations …. .
Players & coaches will learn:
• What umpires (VSUA) are looking for & their rulings
• The Crosstown & SPN softball playing rules: field dimensions, league rules, playing rules – infield fly, blood rule, subbing – AP rule, foul balls, encroachment etc
• What & where players should be – defensively & offensively; batting & fielding strategies, 1st base info, pitching
• What coaches need to know re: equipment – setting up, rules, insurance, alcohol, playing/lineup strategy, bats, balls, gloves, lineup/scorebooks
• Tweeking the online SPN registration & Crosstown web page – TeamPages – for online scores (mostly for coaches), schedules etc
This clinic should last about 1- 1 1/2 hours & also be a chance for coaches to pickup permits, contact sheets, etc
Apres- clinic – off to The Eastside Crafthouse (old EWALK Pub) for socializing & beverages
Thanks & all welcome
Crosstown Slo-Pitch League
Phone: 604- 874- 7158
The next Crosstown meeting will be on * Wednesday, April 25th* … at 7-9pm at The Cedar Cottage Pub (backroom) , Clark & Kingsway.
We will have game balls, permit copies, SPN rule books, coaches contact sheets & final schedules …..
We will also have Abbies softball team scorebooks – available for $2 cash
We accept cash & checks may be post-dated to April 1st. Sorry we do not facilitate VISA or debit cards. Full fees are due by April 30th. We also accept E-transfer of fees to either email address email@example.com or Crosstownslopitch@shaw.ca
If teams do not pick-up game balls by the 25th ,, then they must coordinate pick-up with Mike ..
WELCOME BACK TO THE 2018 CROSSTOWN SOFTBALL SEASON. Hope everyone is having a good off-season.
The 1st Crosstown meeting – for ALL new & returning 2017 teams – will be on Wednesday, Feb 28th * at 7pm at The Cedar Cottage Pub (backroom) , Clark & Kingsway. (The 2nd meeting will be on either Wed March 21st or 28th )
We will update information on the league; on-line registration, fees, fields – increased costs, divisions, schedules, timelines, SPN on-line registration, insurance, umpires, singles lists, equipment, playing rules (flip-flop rule), July 1st wknd, bonds, web page with on-line team registrations, clinic, singles, tournaments, awards, GST, time-lines etc. The next two meetings will be for paying fees & picking up rule books, game balls, schedules, etc.
7:00pm sharp– will be an information and team registration of new teams. *Coaches from ALL new teams must be at this meeting. We will have openings in all divisions but they will fill up quickly. Registration is on a first-come, first $100 paid bond basis….
7:30pm – 8pm – will be a short league update and registration meeting for all returning teams. League fees may be paid and ALL teams must have paid at least $600 towards their 2018 league fees by April 1st … We accept cash, checks or E-Transfer to either email address. Full league fee amounts will be emailed to all coaches but will be the same as last year.
*Coaches should attend one of these meetings. As usual coaches will need to fill out the Blue or yellow registration forms or have filed their registration online with info about their team contacts (coaches & assistants), phone numbers, emails, your division, team name – but you do NOT need your players’ names. I will have paper copies of all on-line registrations.
All teams are required to have a $100 refundable performance bond for the 2018 season. NO monies are due at this meeting other than a $100 bond from NEW teams.
- All 2017 teams not returning or new teams cancelling must call/email back by March 23rd/2018 to receive their bond/fees back for 2017 or 2018. No monies will be returned without proper notice given prior to this date.
The regular season begins either Sunday, May 6 or 13th for Rec D & Monday, May 7th for Rec B & C. All playoffs will be over by mid-August. The free players clinic will be on Sat May 12th. The tournament will be on the June 15-16th weekend. The annual awards night is scheduled for Sat August 18th .
Rec D finals are Friday Aug 10th & Sunday August 12th but may change – Rec A & B & C playoffs will be Mon – Friday, July 30th to Aug 16th… depending on rain-outs. There are no long weekend games – Friday to Mondays. (also Friday June 29th to Monday, July 2nd)
Rec C – teams should be prepared to play some Friday evenings – say 2 to 3 during the regular season … coaches should call me ASAP if they cannot as it may affect registration & we welcome teams wanting to play at beautiful Wesburn Park in Burnaby.
Everyone is welcome. Food & drinks available at the bar. These meetings should take about an hour.
Sponsors: Abbie’s Sporting Goods, 604- 874- 6910, 4774 Main St at 32rd Ave, full softball supplies, 10% Crosstown discount on already good prices… http://www.abbiessports.com/
Coaches & players & friends …..
1/ The 2017 Annual Crosstown Awards night will be held Sat August 19th at the Cedar Cottage Pub.. players may want to order dinner or just drinks from 6 – 8;30 pm and then awards will follow at 8:30 – 10:00 pm and many, many door prizes will be given out all evening … all team awards & trophies & player t-shirts to be presented at 9:00ish.. an NHL signed hockey sweater, 2 or 3 Coors Light player ballbags & Molson’s travel bags, 2 Worth/Easton bats, a Wilson’s glove, jackets, Canadians & Whitecaps sports tickets, coolers, SPN & Coors Light sweatshirts & ball caps, dry-shirts all to go as door prizes… email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604 874 7158 to reserve if over 10 players per team attending. There is no cost for your entry but the purchase of $5 or $10 in Crosstown door prize tickets. No ticket – no winner… all prizes must go Sat night …
All Crosstown teams placing 1st in their division in league play (Rec B, C1, C2, D1 & D2 ) & Playoff winners (Rec B, C1, C2 & D) will receive trophies & individual player awards…
Finalists in the playoffs in each of the 4 divisions Rec B, C1 & C2 & D will receive individual awards.
All prizes, trophies & t-shirts not picked up this night by winning teams will be distributed to local charities or recycled.
Please let us know if NO members of your team are able to attend IF prizes involved!
Note that you can still attend & order from their regular menu or just have beverages with your friends & fellow players as well ..