News and Announcements
Coaches: Once again we are having our Annual Crosstown Recreational Tournament on the June 16-18th weekend at Gordon Park. It is a coed (6 & 4) fun tournament with prizes to the Champions & Finalists, Consolation winner & Most Fun Team… many MVP individual prizes ..rare to find a recreational in-town softball tournament … “every team entering gets better”
Tournament: the 2017 Crosstown Annual Ron Cooke Memorial Tournament will be on the June 16-18th weekend at Gordon Park (Victoria & 49th Ave)
• 5 games guaranteed; one game on Friday night, 2 on Saturday and at least 2 on Sunday. (Friday can be optional) .. but means Saturday starts early & 3 games
• all Crosstown rules, 6 & 4, any Crosstown players from any division may play on teams – just let Mike know as SPN needs to adjust their team files for that weekend for insurance purposes
• all games SPN umpired, cor .44 optic yellow Worth balls,
• Molson’s/SPN prizes – Champions & Finalists, Consolation Champs & Most Fun team – and only our league teams are first invited; this keeps it very recreational & anyone can win!
• 6 – 8 MVP male & female prizes, player ballbags, sweatshirts, hoodies, caps, travel bags, dry shirts, t-shirts
• Tournament fee is $350 per team, same as last 6 years
• Individual Molson’s prizes for Champions, Finalists & Consolation winners & for Most Fun team. . rain or shine .. a lotta fun. . washrooms,
• Teams in – Diamond Dancers, Life Savers, Pilots, the Big Dirty, Baseslide Tigers, Southvan Sluggers, Sick Bunts, Pitch Slap, Angry Pirates, Nightcaps
To all Crosstown players…
What & when: The Crosstown annual free clinic – Sat May 13th
Who: is for all players & coaches & is compulsory for all new teams & esp Rec C2 & D2 teams – at least 1 rep (player).
Where: Gordon Park, 49th Ave & 2 blks west of Victoria (@ David Thompson SS) , NE diamond … 12:00 sharp – 1:30 pm .. umbrellas if raining.. shall only cancel if heavy rain or lightning!
Why .. This is a free practical clinic for all levels & no gloves or equipment needed. A certified umpire will operate the clinic & players should feel comfortable afterwards about softball rules, play & expectations …. .
Players & coaches will learn:
• What umpires (VSUA) are looking for & their rulings
• The Crosstown & SPN softball playing rules: field dimensions, league rules, playing rules – infield fly, blood rule, subbing – AP rule, foul balls, encroachment etc
• What & where players should be – defensively & offensively; batting & fielding strategies, 1st base info, pitching
• What coaches need to know re: equipment – setting up, rules, insurance, alcohol, playing/lineup strategy, bats, balls, gloves, lineup/scorebooks
• Tweeking the online SPN registration & Crosstown web page – TeamPages – for online scores (mostly for coaches), schedules etc
This clinic should last about 1- 1 1/2 hours & also be a chance for coaches to pickup permits, contact sheets, etc
Apres- clinic – off to The Eastside Crafthouse (old EWALK Pub) for socializing & beverages
Thanks & all welcome
Crosstown Slo-Pitch League
Schedules are now on our web page under your division…. check for 18 league games. Our PERMIT is also in the “Documents” link /tab.
Teampages: Go to www.crosstownslopitch.ca .. our web hosted by Teampages … log in & go to your Division & then find your team .. all teams are now on Teampagesupdate players & coaches (2)
SPN: coaches should now be replying to emails from SPN … first thing is to delete all players not playing this year & change the main coach to “Team Contact” … just add /update all players participating this year … due & printed on June 1st / 2017
The next meeting of the Crosstown Slo-Pitch League will be on … we will be there from 7- 9pm & someone from every team needs to have someone there …
This will be a compulsory meeting for several reasons:
1/ Teams to fully pay league fees ( by April 30th – E- Interac, cash or check )
2/ Someone needs to pick-up game balls, permits & the SPN rule book (we do not want to carry game balls around for weeks)
3/ Paper copies will be available of the schedules, coaches contacts, etc Note: the schedule is usually posted a few days before this meeting … but may not be available till this meeting
We will update information on the league; on-line registration, fees, fields – new Burnaby field – Willingdon Heights, any increased costs, divisions, schedules, timelines, SPN on-line registration, insurance, umpires, singles lists, equipment, playing rules (flip-flop rule), July 1st wknd, bonds, web page with on-line team registrations, clinic, singles, tournaments, awards, GST, time-lines etc.
Rec A & B & C: weekdays begin week of May 8th. Playoffs will be Mon – Friday, July 31st to Aug 18th … depending on rain-outs. There are no long weekend games – including Friday, June 30th to Monday, July 3rd)
Rec B & C – teams should be prepared to play 2/3 Friday evenings … & we welcome teams wanting to play at Wesburn & Willingdon Heights Parks in Burnaby.
Rec D The regular season begins – Rec D – Sundays – May 7th Finals are Friday Aug 11th & Sunday August 13th.
Note we lose 3 long weekends this year. We will need to know asap if Rec D teams are NOT in the tournament as you will play the June 16-18th weekend.
Note: The tournament will be on June 16-18th weekend. The free players clinic will be on Sat May 13th. The annual awards night is on Sat August 19th.
Registration for the 2017 season will be on-line soon and all coaches of old teams & new interested teams will receive an email regarding our 1st meeting in mid-February . All should be the same as last year with excellent fields, SPN umps & rules, a web page, free clinic, & mid-June tournament. Fees should not increase this year.
The 2016 Annual Crosstown Awards night will be held this Sat August 13th at the Cedar Cottage Pub.. an off- the- menu dinner & drinks will be from 6:30– 8:30 pm and then awards will follow at 9:00 – 10:30pm and many, many door prizes will be given out all evening … all team awards & trophies & individual player prizes to be presented at 9:00ish … 2 BC Lions tickets vs Calgary for Aug 19, a signed Steve Shutt Montreal Canadians sweater, Winnipeg Jets sweater, Rawlings ball-bag & catcher’s mask, 2 or 3 Coors Light player ballbags & travel bags, a Worth Reload bat, a framed Steve Nash picture, Wilson’s glove, jackets, 4 Canadians tickets, coolers, SPN & Coors Light sweatshirts, dry-shirts all to go as door prizes… … email email@example.com or call 604 874 7158 to reserve if over 10 players per team attending. There is no cost for your entry & the purchase of the $5 or $10 Crosstown door prize tickets. No ticket – no winner… all prizes must go Sat night!
All Crosstown teams placing 1st in their division in league play (Rec B, C1, C2, D1 & D2 ) & teams as Finalists in the playoffs in each of the 4 divisions – Rec B, C1 & C2 & D will receive individual awards.
Playoff winners (Rec B, C1, C2 & D) will receive trophies & individual player awards…
Note that you can still attend at any time & order from their regular menu or just have beverages with your friends & fellow players as well ..