News and Announcements
Welcome back to all coaches & players to the 2019 softball season. All coaches from 2018 & new interested coaches will be contacted in mid-February for a meeting shortly thereafter. There will be a few available spots for teams in all divisions.
All divisions play 18 league games. Rec B will play Mon-Thursdays & Rec C Monday to Friday’s.
Rec D as mentioned will be slightly different this year as all teams from 2018 will not be able to have double-headers on Sunday’s only. We will have teams opt for Friday’s & Sunday’s or Saturday’s & Sunday’s or some continuing the doubles on Sunday’s. Teams will probably play 3 games every 2 weeks as do all weekday divisions.
I am still out of the country till mid-Feb but check my emails daily. This season will be Samo Samo re: divisions, fields, SPN umpired games , mid-June tournie etc. no long weekend games, good grass fields, playoffs & Molson’s / SPN prizes. Fees will also be the same as the past 5 years.
To all Rec D coaches: to update any rumours you may have heard …. Rec D will live but with a few changes….
As a result of many years of modifications and cut-backs and continual field deletions due to tournaments, playoffs etc with our Sunday division at Gordon Park, it has become very difficult to guarantee 2 games every Sunday. Add to that the loss of 3 or 4 long weekends and teams asking for camping/ wedding weekends off and the frustrations of Mother’s Day & Father’s Day … etc etc Therefore, we will be adjusting this division to the following:
- 3 games every 2 weeks; no long weekend games; early May to mid- August schedule (same as Rec B & C)
- Teams may choose to play Friday nights at 6:45pm and/or Saturday 12- 4pm and/or Sunday 12- 8 pm fields – your choice of 2 days.. ie Friday & Saturdays / Sundays or Sat & Sundays
- Note: some double-headers on Sundays may be scheduled if times & dates allow … and they should (we’ll keep S. memorial & Gordon Pk NE)
- Still SPN umpired with 18 league games & minimum 2 playoff games
- Same SPN rules; probably same league fees as last 5 years …
So the big thing is breaking up the ALL Sunday double-headers… other than that things are pretty much the same.
We have very good Friday night fields; can book 1 or 2 very good fields on Saturday afternoons & we’ll keep S Memorial & Gordon Pk NE 1-8 pm on Sundays … teams may also opt to play a weekday night & a Sat or Sunday game … open for many variables…
Please talk with your assistants & team members & as usual we’ll email everyone in early Feb 2019 and the 1st meeting & registration will be late Feb/ early March…
Coaches & players & friends …..
The 2018 Annual Crosstown Awards night will be held Sat August 18th at the Cedar Cottage Pub.. players may want to order dinner or just drinks from 6 – 8;30 pm and then awards will follow at 8:30 – 10:00 pm and many, many door prizes will be given out all evening … all team awards & trophies & player t-shirts to be presented at 9:00ish.. NHL hockey sweaters, a signed Sedins print, 2 or 3 Coors Light player ballbags & Molson’s travel bags, a Worth/Easton bat, a Wilson’s glove, Coors jackets, Canadians & Whitecaps sports tickets, coolers, SPN & Coors Light sweatshirts & ball caps, dry-shirts all to go as door prizes… email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604 874 7158 to reserve if over 10 players per team attending. There is no cost for your entry but the purchase of $5 or $10 in Crosstown door prize tickets. No ticket – no winner… all prizes must go Sat night …
All Crosstown teams placing 1st in their division in league play (Rec B, C1, C2, D ) & Playoff winners (Rec B, C1, C2 & D) will receive trophies & individual player awards…
Finalists in the playoffs in each of the 4 divisions Rec B, C1 & C2 & D will receive individual awards.
All prizes, trophies & t-shirts not picked up this night by winning teams will be distributed to local charities or recycled.
Please let us know if NO members of your team are able to attend IF prizes involved!
Note that you can still attend & order from their regular menu or just have beverages with your friends & fellow players as well ..
Coaches: full playoff schedule and 2018 Permit under Web > Home> Documents
1/ The Playoff schedule:
Rec B & C start Mon July 30th & Finals on Thurs Aug 9th & Monday Aug 13th … (unless rainouts then Tues Aug 14) Friday (Aug 10) only if needed for rainouts. No long weekend games Friday to Monday.
Rec D – on Friday, Aug 10th & Sunday Aug 12th at Strathcona Pk NW & C (10 – 7pm)
2/ Scores: please update your league game scores ASAP …check games on Teampages that are outstanding/ over 1 week old ….
4E/ SCORES: BOTH TEAMS SHOULD KEEP SCORE DURING THE GAME TO ENSURE CONCURRENCE WITH FINAL RESULT. HOME TEAM’S SCOREBOOK WILL BE VERIFIED FIRST IF SCORE DISCREPANCY. WINNING TEAM (INCLUDING DEFAULTS) TO REGISTER THE SCORE ONLINE WITH TEAMPAGES WITHIN 24 HOURS FROM THE SCHEDULED GAME DAY. HOME TEAM TO ENTER SCORE IF A TIED GAME OR A CANCELLED GAME … IF NOT, SCOREKEEPER WILL RECORD A DOUBLE SEVEN SCORE (7-7).
3/ The 2018 Annual Crosstown Awards night will be held Sat Aug 18th at the Cedar Cottage Pub.. All Crosstown teams placing 1st in their division in league play (Rec B, C1, C2, D ) & playoff winners (Rec B, C1,C2 & D) will receive trophies & individual player awards… playoff finalists will receive individual awards as well …. 2 or 3 Coors Light player ballbags, signed NHL memorabilia, Molson’s travel bags, an Easton bat, Wilson’s glove, jackets, Canadians, BC Lions & Whitecaps sports tickets, coolers, SPN & Coors Light sweatshirts/ hoodies & caps, dry-shirts all to go as door prizes…
4/ The 10th Annual Crosstown Golf Tournament is cancelled for 2018.
*Coaches: Once again we are having our Annual Crosstown Recreational Tournament on the June 15-17th weekend at Gordon Park. It is a coed (6 & 4) fun tournament with prizes to the Champions & Finalists, Consolation winner & Most Fun Team… many MVP individual prizes ..rare to find a recreational in-town softball tournament & 5 game minimum .. * “every team entering gets better”
- Tournament: the 2018 Crosstown Annual Ron Cooke Memorial Tournament will be on the June 15-17th weekend at Gordon Park (Victoria & 49th Ave)
• 5 games guaranteed; one game on Friday night, 2 on Saturday and at least 2 on Sunday. (Friday can be optional .. but means Saturday starts early – 10ish & 3 games)
• all Crosstown rules, 6 & 4, any Crosstown players from any division may play on teams – just let Mike know as SPN needs to adjust their team files for that weekend for insurance purposes
• all games SPN umpired, cor .44 optic yellow Worth balls,
• Molson’s/SPN prizes – Champions & Finalists, Consolation Champs & Most Fun team – and only our league teams are first invited; this keeps it very recreational & anyone can win!
• 6 – 8 MVP male & female prizes, player ballbags, sweatshirts, hoodies, caps, travel bags, dry shirts, t-shirts
• Tournament fee is $350 per team, same as last 7 years
• Individual Molson’s prizes for Champions, Finalists & Consolation winners & for Most Fun team. . rain or shine .. a lotta fun. . washrooms,
• Teams pencilled in – Diamond Dancers, Life Savers, Pilots, the Big Dirty, Pitch Slap, Vancity Pitches, Angry Pirates, Nightcaps?